Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sierra City, almost halfway!


Made it to Sierra City (mile 1197.5).  Another week and I'll be halfway to Canada.  I have a ton more awesome photos to post of the Sierra, but can't seem to get them efficiently off of my camera so I may have to send the memory card from Belden (mile 1289) to Gretchen.  We're done with the Sierra Nevada now and won't be over 8,000 ft again, I believe.  We can see that the mountains mellow out to the north and now look like big hills compared to what we have travelled through.  We did get a long distance shot of Shasta from the mountains yesterday.  At this distance it looked like a white pyramid totally covered in snow.  For those that don't know, it's a Cascade volcano that stands a little over 14,000 ft.  Looking forward to walking through the dense forests ahead and getting to the Cascades and Oregon in the next 3-4 weeks.  Gretchen and I will try to get the photos posted soon.  They're some of the most gorgeous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment